When we set out to design our R45 hub we had over 30 years of bearing experience and 20 years of building hubs under our belts. The R45 is the culmination of that experience; we focused on creating a lightweight road racing hub that utilized hallmarks of Chris King components: precision, performance, and quality. Our R45 rear hub combines a redesigned RingDrive system with 45 teeth for lower drag and near instant engagement with a lightweight hub body and our legendary made-in-house bearings.
Our bearings, available in steel and ceramic, have heat-treated, surgical grade steel races that are machined simultaneously, with tools of equal wear to ensure perfectly matched inner and outer races. The quality and speed of our bearings is what sets us apart from the competition and they are what you will feel and notice on every single ride. As Chris King bearing tracks burnish they get faster with age and all our hubs and bearings are fully serviceable for years upon years of demanding use.
The patented Chris King RingDrive with 45-points of simultaneous-engagement will get your power to the ground fast, provide unmatched engagement, and give you that legendary Chris King angry-bee sound.
Also compatible: XDR drive shells are compatible with SRAM Red AXS and eTap Eagle (12-speed SRAM Road/Gravel cassettes). Contact us for more information! Specs:
- Engineered, manufactured and assembled in Portland, Oregon USA
- 5-year built-to-last warranty
- Legendary made-in-house bearings
- Easily serviceable and completely re-buildable with our R45 Hub Service Tool
- Available in 9 beautifully anodized colors
- Available in Matte finish
- Matte Available in 24h, 28h, and 32h
- Ceramic bearing upgrade available
- Axle Type: one piece
- Compatible with Campagnolo up to 12s: Shimano/SRAM up to 11s road
- Axle Width (mm): 130
- Flange Diameter Drive Side and non-Drive Side(mm): 51,0
- Center to Flange Drive Side (mm): 17,0
- Center to Flange Non-Drive Side (mm): 34,3
- Frame Attachment Options: QR
- Available Spoke Hole Drilling: 20, 24, 28, 32
- Weight Steel (grams): 224
- Weight Ceramic (grams): 218
We live by the ideal that, a product is not worth making unless you make it better. When developing a rear hub, many engagement systems were tried and the RingDriveTM prevailed as the best of the best.
The system consists of three primary parts: the Drive Ring, the Driven Ring, and the Driveshell (freehub). The design allows us to move the engagement mechanism inside the hubshell, inward of the large hubshell bearing, allowing it to have more contact area than a traditional freehub design, and better mitigate torque from the drivetrain. The Drive and Driven Rings
are made of heat-treated stainless-steel and have 72-points of simultaneous engagement (45-points in the R45 road hubs).
These provide ample, positive engagement, and are capable of handling a torque load of over 800ft/lbs, three times greater than other high end hubs we tested! Our Bearings
Unlike common radial bearings, we build sealed angular-contact bearings that allow for adjustment as they are used. Rather than wear out, our bearings wear in
; like a fine wine or a quality guitar, they get better with age. All of our bearings are user-serviceable without special tools.
Simply remove the snap ring and seal, clean, and re-grease the bearing for a lifetime of faithful rolling.
You rely on your bicycle. Your bicycle relies on our bearings.