The Racer Medium is the leaner, meaner version of the Racer. It’s got fantastic stopping power and thanks to the very stiff and short arms it modulates that power better than any brake we’ve ever used.
The Racer Medium is offered in both a center mount and a braze-on configuration. The Braze-On Racer Medium mounts to a pair of center pull brake bosses positioned on the fork or seat stays at a specific width and distance from the axle. While it can be more difficult to have a frame fitted with these specially positioned brake bosses, it makes for a much stiffer and cleaner looking brake.
It is important to note that the Braze-On Racer Medium does not mount to brake bosses in the standard cantilever position, and it will not work with U-brake bosses. Please refer to our support article on Braze-On Center Pull Brakes for more information. Reach is determined by the height of the center pull brake bosses, which can be positioned by a frame builder to match up with 700c, 650b, or 26″ wheels.
The Center Mount version of the Racer Medium features an additional bridge piece that runs between the pivots and allows the Racer Medium to mount to frames with a single brake mounting hole above the tire. The option is given for a shorter recessed bolt to work with modern frames, or a longer non-recessed bolt that works with older frames. In this setup the Racer Medium is a medium (or “standard”) reach brake with a range of 47 to 57mm.
The Racer Medium come with all necessary hardware: mounting bolts, straddle wire, cable carrier, and a pair of salmon Kool Stop Thinline brake pads.
Between the arms there is enough clearance to fit a 45mm fender and a 32mm wide tire. We think this is a perfect combination for an all-around do-everything road bike if there ever was one. As a bonus, the brake will not pinch the side of the fender like dual pivot brakes do.
Please note that all of our brakes are sold per wheel. Technical Information
Exploded Assembly Drawing: Spring Placement:
- Material: 6061 Aluminum
- Center Mount Weight: 154g
- Braze-On Weight: 113g
- Finish: Anodized or Polished
- Anodized Color: Black or Silver
- Cable Pull: Short Pull Short pull brakes have less leverage than long pull brakes and require a shorter amount of cable to be pulled when they are actuated. They are intended only for use with short pull brake levers such as our Cross Levers or Canti Levers, or short pull drop bar brake levers.
- Brake Pads: Salmon Kool Stop Thinline
- Reach: 47mm-57mm Brake reach is measured diagonally from the center of the center mount bolt to the top edge of the brake pad.