The Racer brake is a center pull caliper brake with long reach arms and plenty of clearance.
Based on the classic Mafac center pull, the Racer brake has been updated with modern materials and manufacturing. The long reaching arms are CNC machined with a T-shaped profile that makes them very stiff. The widely spaced pivots make room for larger tires and full-coverage fenders.
The Racer was originally designed to mount directly to the frame via center pull brake bosses. When a Braze-On Racer is mounted to these specially positioned center pull brake bosses, the brake is especially stiff, weighs less and has a simple integrated appearance.
It is important to note that the Braze-On Racer does not mount to brake bosses in the standard cantilever position, and it will not work with U-brake bosses. Please refer to our support article on Braze-On Center Pull Brakes for more information. Reach is determined by the height of the center pull brake bosses, which can be positioned by a frame builder to match up with 700c, 650b, or 26″ wheels.
We also make the Racer brake in a Center Mount version. An additional bridge spans the pivots and mounts to the frame with a bolt. The option is given for a shorter recessed bolt to work with modern frames, or a longer non-recessed bolt that works with older frames.
The Center Mount Racer is a long reach brake, and has 57mm to 72mm of reach (when measured diagonally from the center mount to the top of the brake pad). This works great on frames designed for long reach brakes, and can convert frames designed for 27″ wheels to 700c, or 700c to 650b.
Please note that all of our brakes are sold per wheel. Technical Information
- Material: 6061 Aluminum
- Center Mount Weight: 157g
- Braze-On Weight: 120g
- Finish: Anodized or Polshed
- Anodized Color: Black or Silver
- Cable Pull: Short Pull
- Short pull brakes have less leverage than long pull brakes and require a shorter amount of cable to be pulled when they are actuated.
- They are intended only for use with short pull brake levers such as our Cross Levers or Canti Levers, or short pull drop bar brake levers.
- Brake Pads: Salmon Kool Stop Thinline
- Reach: 57mm-72mm
- Brake reach is measured diagonally from the center of the center mount bolt to the top edge of the brake pad.