If a worn chain is replaced by a new one, the number of chain links must be determined. Since a worn bicycle chain has lengthened and the pure holding of the new and old chain together leads to an inaccurate result, thus to a different number of chain links.
and that's how it works:
- suitable for bicycle chains from BMX to 12-speed
1. attach chain link counter to chain, set counter to zero
2. mark any chain link with visible point
3. from chain marking 1x pass through chain link counter
4. read off the number of chain links
5. Count new chain from chain reel with chain link counter and cut chain to length (the new chain is shorter compared to the worn chain)