The Wednesday is the result of over a decade of fat bike design experience distilled into one steely-eyed package. With Wednesday, we borrowed elements from some of our Trail and Touring models to create a whip that can truly handle anything you want to attempt. Want to point it down the side of mountain? Go ahead, roll those dice. And if you make it to the bottom, you’ll be able to ride back to the top for round two. Wednesday’s geometry is spry enough to get you through techy stuff, stable enough for the fast stuff, and doesn’t feel sluggish on terrain-crawling stuff.
While Wednesday is plenty confident on terrifying terrain, it also has the chops for any sort of expedition you may want to undertake. We gave it all the necessary braze-ons and mounts for whatever accoutrements you feel necessary in your travels. Racks? Front and rear, friend. Fenders? You got it. Bottle mounts? How does triple bottle bosses on both fork legs and the down tube, and two sets of standard mounts on the main triangle grab you? We even gave Wednesday internal routing for a dropper post and Surly Trip Guides to keep everything nice and neat and free of rat’s nests. In the dropout department, Wednesday uses a cast steel, rear-facing, slotted dropout that can exit either rearward or vertically. They’re compatible with either 10mm or 12mm axles and are spaced at 170/177mm.
We wanted Wednesday to offer a lot of options when it comes to tire clearance. In the full-forward, short chainstay position you can run 26 x 3.8˝ tires on 80mm rims and in the full-rearward, longer chainstay position you get the option of 26 x 4.6˝ tires on an 80mm rim. Wednesday is constructed using our proprietary ED-coated 4130 CroMoly steel. ED coating is a process that provides a solid foundation for paint externally while adding a layer of corrosion protection internally. ED coating goes a long way, but we still recommend using an additional treatment like Frame Saver or Boeshield.
- Tubing: 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. ED coated.
- Rear Dropouts: Surly Universal Cast Dropout. Allows use of 177 x 12mm thru-axles, 170 x 10mm QR axles and gives you the option of either horizontal or vertical wheel removal when using 177 x 12mm axles and rear exiting when using 10mm axles
- Brake Compatibility: 51mm I.S. disc mounts frame and fork
- Braze-ons/extras: Dual water bottle mounts on XS–M, triple water bottle mounts on L–XL, Surly Trip Guide full line guides for brake and derailleurs, fender and rack eyelets
- Seatpost diameter: 30.9mm
- Seatpost clamp diameter: 33.1mm, Surly clamp included
- Headset/Steerer Tube: 44mm ID. Recommend EC44 lower cups. Zero Stack on top is ok
- Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: Direct-mount 34.9mm diameter (adapter included)
- Bottom bracket shell: 100mm wide, standard English threading (1.37˝ x 24t)
- Chainring Clearance: 22/36t NOTE: This is this specific to using a Surly O.D. Crank—use of other cranks may limit number and size of rings and may cause tire/chain rub!
- Tire Clearance: 4.6˝ on an 80mm rim and the wheel pulled back. 3.8˝ with wheel slammed forward
- Fork: Tapered straight blade 4130 CroMoly. 468mm axle to crown, 47mm offset. 51mm I.S. front standard disc mount, 150mm x 15mm thru-axle dropouts (axle included), 100mm suspension fork compatible
- Thru Axle: HU0139 Surly 15x150 Front Thru Axle, HU0135 Surly 12x177 Rear Thru Axle
- Frame: Surly Wednesday, 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. ED coated. Double-butted main triangle. TIG-welded
- Fork: Surly Wednesday, Tapered straight blade 4130 CroMoly. 468mm axle to crown, 47mm offset. 51mm I.S. front standard disc mount, 150mm x 15mm thru-axle dropouts (axle included), 100mm suspension fork compatible
- Seatpost Clamp: Stainless 33.1 collar, Black
|Seat Tube Length|
|Top Tube Length|
|Effective Top Tube Length|
|Head Tube Angle||69.0||69.0||69.0||69.0||69.0|
|Seat Tube Angle||73.5||73.5||73.5||73.5||73.5|
|Head Tube Length||95.0||100.0||110.0||120.0||130.0|
*Standover is measured from the top of the TT, at the center, with a tire measuring approximately Ø749mm