Our lightest alloy clincher wheelset now features a wider, deeper rim for a smoother ride quality
Climb faster with the lightest alloy clincher wheel
Save energy and ride longer with optimal power transfer and efficiency
- New ISM 4D, Exalith 2 rims
- Carbon Tracomp spokes
- Superlight bearings and axles: QRM SL
Descend with confidence, rail through corners
- Tracomp Superlight spokes balance stiffness and compliance
- Yksion Pro PowerLink rear tire for low rolling resistance
- Taller rim profile for unbeatable lateral stiffness
- Grippy Yksion Pro tires
- Rounder rim profile increases stiffness for sharp handling
The R-Sys SLR was created for gran fondo racers and everyone who loves big mountain climbs. It’s the ultimate wheel for the KOM. It’s not only one of the few clincher wheelsets below the 1300g mark, but also the most laterally stiff, with proven strength and durability and superior braking performance.
It features Tracomp technology, which stands for Traction/Compression and combines extremely low weight with high lateral stiffness. This innovative design allows the spoke to work both in traction and compression.
These spokes are both round and hollow (tubes) so they won’t buckle when compressed. They are clamped on both ends by a nipple that is bonded to the spoke and directly threaded into the rim on one end and into a ring inside the hub on the other.
We use superlight carbon spokes to save weight and bolster stiffness, since carbon fibers don’t stretch as much as steel or aluminum. The result is a wheel that is 30% stiffer laterally than any other wheel in its weight category.
Tracomp also dampens road vibration and adds vertical compliance so you can ride longer with more comfort.
Since this is a true mountain wheelset, we’ve also added Exalith, which improves stopping distance by 20% in wet or dry conditions. The ISM 4D rims are not only superlight (370g), but they also save a few watts in aerodynamics, helping you descend even faster.
ISM 4D works by strategically removing material from the rim for a smooth, rounded superlight profile.
The wheels are fitted with Yksion Pro tires, which offer a perfect balance of grip, rolling resistance and a low weight of only 210g for a 25mm size. The supple 127 TPI casing tires are front and rear specific for added control and rolling efficiency. The R-Sys SLR Wheel-Tire System is available with 23 or 25mm tires.
Compatible Adapters and freewheel bodies
- Rear axle: Quick Release only
- Front axle: Quick Release only
- Freewheel: Shimano/Sram, convertible to Campagnolo with optional driver body
- FTS-L Campagnolo freewheel body (30871201)
- FTS-L Shimano / Sram freewheel body (30871101 Delivered on the wheel)
- Pair without tyre: 1295 grams
- Front without tyre: 555 grams
- Rear without tyre: 740 grams
- Super Light sealed cartridge bearings (QRM SL)
- Front and rear bodies: aluminum
- Axle material: aluminum
- Freewheel: FTS-L steel
- Max. Pressure: see indication on wheel and tyre. If they differ, use the lowest of the 2
- For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels don't exceed 120kg, bike included
- ASTM CATEGORY 1 : road only
- Recommended tyre sizes: 21 to 30 mm
- Internal width: 15mm
- Height: front 24mm, rear 26 asymmetrical
- Weight reduction: ISM 4D
- Brake track: Exalith 2
- ETRTO size: 622x15C
- Valve hole diameter: 6.5 mm
- Tyre: clincher
- Drilling: Fore
- Joint: SUP
- Material: Maxtal
- Shape: Tracomp tubular (front and rear non drive side) and straight pull bladed and double butted (rear drive side)
- Material: carbon fiber (front and rear non drive side) and Zicral (rear drive side)
- Nipples: Fore integrated aluminum
- Lacing: radial front and rear non-drive side, crossed 2 rear drive side
- Count: front 16, rear 20
- Breaker: Front Kevlar, Rear polyamide
- Dimension: 25-622 (700x25c)
- Yksion Pro GripLink (front) & PowerLink (rear)
- Front and Rear Tread: Single Compound
- Casing: 127 TPI
Grip and control
A front tyre, whether a clincher or a tubular, must fully liberate the wheel’s ability to hold the ground and control the bike. Therefore, GripLink tyres are optimized for front use, by offering a superior grip and extra puncture protection.
Light, stiff and strong
A specific aluminum alloy that provides spokes with higher stiffness-to-weight ratio while being stronger.
Light & stiff traction compression. Extremely light Tracomp carbon fibre spokes works in traction and compression to provide a very high stiffness level in any circumstances.
Stiffer and stronger
Instead of being drilled, the lower rim bridge is pushed up on the inside, then threaded to enable the spoke nipples to be directly screwed in it, leaving the upper rim bridge intact.
Low rolling resistance
A rear tyre, whether a clincher or a tubular, must fully liberate the wheel’s ability to transfer power and generate speed. Therefore, PowerLink tyres are optimized for rear wheel use, by minimizing the rolling resistance.
Inter Spoke Milling 4 Dimensions
An exclusive Mavic patented concept, ISM 4D significantly reduces weight and inertia without compromising durability. Quicker accelerations, better handling and more resistance ; the right mix to make the most of any ride. The smooth profile also helps reducing aerodynamic drag
Qualité de Roulements Mavic Super Light
The super light bearings are designed having in mind the QRM strict specifications. The matching hub axles are machined within extremely narrow tolerances, then one by one adjusted with very high precision when assembled.
High braking performance
The Mavic exclusive Exalith 2 technology for aluminum rims has been refined to provide a very high level of durability and braking performance in all weather conditions.
Light and strong
Exclusive to Mavic, this specific aluminum alloy offers a higher strength to weight ratio than conventional 6106 alloy.
Force Transfer System Light
Reinforcement of key transmission components: the contact area between the pawl and the hub body is reinforced by 2 stainless steel inserts, which allows the use of a 100% aluminum hub body.
Stronger and smoother joint
Soudé Usiné Process. After bending, the rim joint is arc welded. The welded seam is then milled for a smooth finish.